Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Ode to Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday of the year. I might bitch and moan as the grocery bills mount up and the alcohol bill, but it is worth it. I'm a pretty good cook. I usually don't cook much during the year. Thanksgiving is the exception, however.

My mother asked my nephew what he was most looking forward to eating this year and he said candied yams and turkey, both of which I make. Mom does the heavy duty cooking, as she feels it is her holiday so I relent so that there is peace under our roof. She started yesterday. She should be finished making lasagna, collard greens, baked macaroni and cheese, meatloaf, and some other tasty treats by the time I get home. Then it's my shift.

I stick to making the aforementioned yams and turkey (which always gets applause), potato salad (which I only make once a year--twice if I do it for Christmas--or if someone requests it for a dinner), and some twin chickens (as some people prefer to chicken to turkey).

I might bake a cake or make some blueberry corn bread, complements of Jiffy.

The ritual will begin tonight with much to do about dicing and slicing and proper "slightly anal retentive" potato and sweet potato measurements. I toss measuring cups out of the window. I've been cooking since I was ten so I can pretty much play it by ear, as I'm pretty good with figuring out what's a cup, half-cup, etc. Come on people--in the olden days everyone played it by ear. And we know the old folks can generally throw down when it comes to cooking. (Though I'm sure they prefer modern inventions like a slicer, bread machines, microwaves, ovens, LOL). Okay now I'm just being silly.

Enjoy your holidays!

No comments: