Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Election Day

I woke up early this morning to cast my common sense on what elected officials I "trust" to be the voice of the people for the duration of their term. This is a process that is as familiar to me as walking. I know the procedure. I even remember where the booth for my election booth is, even though I sometimes forget the election district.



I see a bunch of smiling faced older woman who are volunteering to make the election process as painless as possible. For old pros like me all they have to do is have me sign my signature and then tell me when it is my turn to go into the booth. Typically I'm among the first voters in my district, around 7-7:30.

In New York we still have the prehistoric voting machines.


These babies have been around since the dawn of time. You have to pull the lever to the left. You click off who you want to select and under what party. If you know what you're doing you'll see an X next to the person. When your finished you turn the lever to the right so that the next person behind you can follow the same procedure that you have.

Interesting Thoughts

This is the first election that I can remember that I did not receive a booklet of the individuals seeking office and what they stand for.

Nor did I receive the standard pamphlet that reminds you of the upcoming general election and your election district.

Even a weakling could pull that lever.

There weren't any campaign aids passing out last minute flyers before you went into the polling center. Usually you have to beat these people off with a bat. It has gotten so bad that they have a no flyer zone within a certain range of the booth.

Can't wait to see the results and if the politicians will actually keep their words.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

good lord, those are your voting machines! they ARE ancient!

Excalibur said...

Yes they are. They've been around since the sixties.