Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Transformer Drama

Those of that live in the northeast are currently amidst a nasty heat wave. Last night I turned on my air conditioner, for the second night in a row. It's about 12 and hear a big boom in the backyard. It sounded like a transformer blew. The air temperature was still a sizzling 85 and the humidity was drifting ever upwards. Not exactly a good time to have power issues.

Half of my apartment was with power, the other without. The refrigerator was the one without. I tried to pretend like it would be alright. I convinced myself of this even through the fire engine sirens and the commotion outside. Everyone was playing amateur investigator.

My mother knocks on the door. That's when I had to deal with it. I heard her turning the circuit breaker off and on. She said the fridge wasn't working. I saw that the computer was still receiving power, same outlet mind you, but the fridge wasn't. I snapped at her to stop opening up the fridge, as I didn't want her to make all of the food spoil, knowing keeping the fridge insulated would preserve the food during a short power outage.

I unplugged the computer and plugged the fridge in, came right on. So the power was off in the back. My fan was on, cable was off, and my new HDTV weren't working. I just tried to convince myself that it wasn't shot.

Then the power shifted in about half an hour. All of my electronics were out. I got up switched the fridge to the original outlet. I basically didn't get to sleep until 3:30 when all the power was restored.

I kept the fan on. Con Edison makes me wonder how well they are going to handle the city's energy consumption. I rarely use my air conditioner. I don't keep it on high and I turn it down as soon as it cools the room, as I don't need to be in Siberia--just need to escape the Kalahari. Lets hope tonight is better. We won't get relief from the heat until Thursday.

I've probably consumed my weight in liquid. How can I be in a bad mood when I'll be in Costa Rica on Saturday? No way, LOL.

2 comments:

coldploy said...

This just reminds me of the power outage in Woodside last year. Too people live in this fucking crazy city!!!

Excalibur said...

LOL, you are right.